Monday, October 09, 2006

Days 4 - 6 - fasting and social events...

Sorry about lack of update... how many thought I'd starved to death?

Well, no I didn't. It was just the weekend and I didn't much feel like writing.. And I had other stuff to do. Like pressing lemon juice and mixing it with syrup, cayenne pepper and water to drink. And drinking herbal tea and water.

So, my biggest realisation is really that fasting is most difficult for OTHER people, i.e. people who aren't fasting. To the individual who's fasting it's not really difficult. I mean, sure I think about food. But, I'm not hungry, I don't feel the NEED for food. And the thing is, it really gets easier the longer you do it. Now I'm on day 7 and it feels like I could go on like this forever :-) (Don't worry, I won't, I already have a restaurant booked for Friday :) )
I mean, being at a party, everybody else is drinking wine and eating snacks and I drink water. Do they all think I'm suffering cos I'm not eating and they are? (Would I be there if I was suffering? The people who know me probably know the answer is "no") If I was suffering, I'd be at home bitching and groaning and whining about how miserable I was and trying to get sympathy. Of course, some of the stories people start telling after copious amounts of wine aren't as funny when you're sober, but hey, you can always laugh AT people, not WITH them ;)
But fasting generally sure makes for conversation. Everybody has to ask about it. Maybe it makes them feel uncomfortable...

So I do think about food. In a way I really learn to appreciate food. I mean not eating gives a person time to reflect on what one WANTS to eat. Not so much "oh god, I HAVE TO eat something today, what should I get?" but rather "NOW I can eat, what do I WANT TO make, I have so many options". It's a wonderful feeling. Of course I have to start with some simple soups so my guts don't turn inside out. But on Friday I'm already hoping to eat something "real".

For anybody who's thinking about fasting I can warmly recommend it ;) BUT it's not for everyone. And it's no miracle cure.

As I said, today is my 7th day, and it looks like it's gonna be my last day, fasting. They say 7 days is minimum for this method, and they recommend 10, but as I did this same thing also at the beginning of the year 7 days should be enough.

Ok, gotta go pee... talk to ya later ;)

No comments: